Diablo 2 Resurrected Leveling Guide: How to Get Experience Easily
Obviously leveling up your characters in D2R is a must. Here we leave you an explanatory guide on the basics of how the levels work, as well as a list of the best ways and places to get XP effectively to reach the precious level 99.
When creating a character, it is normal to imagine him reaching the maximum level, but it is neither quick nor easy in Diablo 2. The way that experience gains work in Diablo 2 Resurrected is not as intuitive as you might think. There are many special rules to follow, we will explain the main elements to you before moving on to the best growing spots.
The experience in Diablo 2 Resurrected
Your character gains the maximum possible experience by killing monsters that are within a range of 5 levels above or below his. Killing monsters 6 levels lower or even higher is subject to increasing penalties. A monster that is 10 or more levels different from yours will only grant 5% of normal experience. You can’t farm very low-level monsters effectively, nor the power level of other characters easily unless speed makes up for the penalty. In any case, this means that you will have to take into account 2 parameters: Choose an area with a suitable level for your character, with monsters that you can kill at a good rate (preferably without dying). You can find the recommended areas for each level section a little later.
Dying on Normal difficulty does not result in loss of experience. However, you lose 5% experience at the current level when dying in Nightmare and 10% in Hell. He regains 75% of the lost experience if he hits his body (without restarting the game). You lose experience every time you die trying to regain your body. The good news is that you cannot lose levels when you die. Being killed by another player causes you to lose the appropriate amount of experience for the difficulty level.
In multiplayer, monsters’ health and experience are increased by 50% for each additional player, so it’s only more profitable if you farm faster.
Monsters killed by your mercenary grant experience as usual. Killing a monster brought back to life by a shaman, for example, yields nothing (or loot).
Up to level 70, experience gains are normal, but from this point on, increasing penalties are inflicted. Progressing through the 90-99 level range is excruciatingly slow, as the penalty ends up reducing your experience to 0.59% of its normal amount, stacked with the monster level difference penalty (5%). And also you can stack up your DPS with rare D2R runes and items for fast slaying monsters. It’s a very long-term investment, count hundreds and hundreds of hours, you’ve been warned.
Optimize the obtaining of experience points
- In general, it is advisable to play at 8 o’clock in order to be able to farm as efficiently as possible, be it equipment or experience. But this is not absolutely necessary if you prefer to play alone.
- Not dying becomes more and more important as your level increases (especially in Extreme mode, thanks Captain Obvious).
- Experience Shrines will give you + 50% experience gained while their effect is active, always good to take. You can get one in Act 1 and then teleport to the boss room of another act with the effect. Just avoid being cursed by Baal or some special enemies, smash the effect.
- Having as much DPS as possible will help you farm faster, be it on your character, in your multiplayer party with a good lineup (Bowmazone, Support Paladin, Cursing Necromancer, etc.) and a well-optimized Act 2. Mercenary.
Areas with the best experience
As mentioned above, if the monsters are too low or too high, you will suffer penalties. Here are areas suitable for each level, they were also chosen because of the large number of enemies and the fact that they are not too painful to farm. These are usually good team farming plans too. Of course, what is listed below is indicative, it is still necessary to reach the areas in question, which will make you gain levels along the way normally.
- Level 1 to 15: Clear Tristram repeatedly in Act 1. The Bloody Countess is a less profitable option but allows you to farm Runes.
- Level 15 to 24: Clear the false tombs of Tal Rasha towards the end of Act 2.
- Level 24+ – Completing the Rite of Passage mission while taking on the Ancients in Act 5 will earn you a free level.
- Level 25 to 40: Make the Sanctuary of Chaos and Devil in act 4 and / or Baal in act 5.
- Level 40+ – Completing the Rite of Passage mission while facing the Ancients in Act 5 on Nightmare difficulty will give you another level for free.
- Level 41 to 60: Make the Sanctuary of Chaos and Devil in Act 4 and / or Baal in Act 5 in Nightmare mode.
- Level 60+ – Completing the Rite of Passage mission while taking on the Ancients in Act 5 on Hell difficulty will grant you another level for free.
- Level 61-95: Kill Baal in Act 5 in Hell mode
- Level 95-99: Kill Baal very quickly in a loop several thousand times, using different hidden techniques to optimize experience and time.
Appropriate zones by level
If you don’t necessarily want to farm a specific area, and if you want to know where you’re supposed to be in the acts and difficulty modes for your level, here’s a quick list:
- Level 1 to 11: Act 1
- Level 12 to 18: Act 2
- Level 19 to 23: Act 3
- Level 24 to 31: Act 4
- Level 32 to 36: Act 5
- Level 37 to 43: Act 1 in Nightmare Mode
- Level 44 to 48: Act 2 in Nightmare Mode
- Level 49 to 52: Act 3 in Nightmare Mode
- Level 53 to 62: Acts 4 and 5 in Nightmare mode
- Level 63 to 73: Act 1 in Hell mode
- Level 74 to 80: Act 2 in Hell mode
- Level 81 to 83: Act 3 in Hell mode
- Level 83 to 94: Acts 4 and 5 in Hell mode
- Level 95 to 99: Baal in Act 5 in Hell mode